Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Two things about new firewalls etc.

From: Jason Keimig <jkeimig () idir net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 12:54:56 -0600 (CST)

2. To follow up on Vern Paxon's post, there is a famous paper that shows
Ethernet traffic is inherently fractal--that is, it's just as bursty over 1
million seconds as it is over 1 second. This paper, by Will Leland of
Bellcore, answered once and for all the telco types who had always
maintained that the burstiness of data traffic would even out over time.

Yes, the paper: "On the Self-Similar Nature of Ethernet Traffic" was quite
ground-breaking in its own right.  Of course there were its detractors,
saying that the network analyzed was not "typical", that THEY had traces
that showed short-range dependencies, etc.  There were many a battle from
several playgrounds on the long range-dependencies of data traffic, heated
discussions would erupt at conferences, several people were fired, I even
heard that somebody was shot one night during an all-out war on the subject
behind closed doors....

Seriously though, I think the paper is entirely relevent in data traffic
pushed on some types of CSMA/CD (shared) mediums.  Ethernet by nature is an
unfair and random layer-1|2 protocol.  However, it is not clear that the
low-frequency components necessary for long-range dependence are present in
token-based, ring or switched systems.

Further, with new technologies on the horizon with true multiplexing
capabilites (e.g., ATM), the assumptions that ALL data traffic is
inherently self-similar may not be valid.

Maybe the guys at Bellcore could move up to the present and check
out what real (e.g., full-duplex, switched and ATM) networks look like.  8-)

Don't get me wrong, I have total respect for Will, Walter, Murad and Daniel
for their paper and the contributions that they've made to the data world.
How do you say? "Man, y'all da BOMB!"

-Jason