Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls/Internet Security - TNG

From: "Larry J. Hughes Jr." <larry () nwnet net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 08:56:34 -0800 (PST)

Edward Cracknell <edward () securIT net> writes:
What I explicitly mean by this is a VERY trusted third party receiving
and responding to alerts via a secure link to the internal LAN. Customer
worries like keeping up to date, knowing what is an intrusion pattern
etc. are removed. The customer has a 'team' of experts for the price
(annual fee) of one guy/gal.

At a recent conference, someone at the Wheel Group vendor booth told me
they provide such a service today -- monitored detection & response on
customer LANs.  Done right (that's the hard part), it's a great idea.  The
general concept has already more or less proven itself years ago, with
monitored alarm systems for homes and offices.

We've kinda gone this round a month or so ago, vis a vis managed firewall
services, of which I am a strong proponent primarily for the reason you
say.  Of course that just covers the front door, but it's a step in the
right direction.

---
Larry J. Hughes Jr.    larry () nwnet net     http://www.nwnet.net/~larry/