Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re[2]: Two things about new firewalls etc.

From: dnewman () data com
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 97 19:18:27 -0500

While using programmable silicon (FPGA or CAM) offers large performance
improvements, there's a fundamental difference between basic
routing/switching and security analysis.  Routers and switches assume more
or less correct implementation, which results in fairly hard boundaries for
the analysis they perform.  Security devices must assume that the protocols
themselves can be used for attacks, so there are *no* bounds to the analysis.

This makes the number of required checks much larger, which makes the
silicon larger, which makes the cost higher.  The more exceptions, the more
processing must be done outside the fast path.  Comes a point where it's
cheaper to use a general purpose processor.

     As a general rule, Ted's comments are right on the mark. But the
     boundaries are beginning to blur: Look at devices like some of the
     ASIC-based traffic shapers that copied Packeteer (the one from
     Integralis springs to mind). And router and switch folks are moving up
     the stack and doing it in silicon: Look at Alteon's layer-4 stuff, and
     3Com and Bay aren't far behind.

     I'd be very surprised if at least some security vendors *weren't*
     working to embed at least some analysis in silicon. I don't have any
     advance knowledge of this. But I've seen ASIC-based products move from
     L2 to L3 to L4, and I don't see why chipmakers will stop there. No
     question it's hugely compute-expensive. But there's some cool stuff
     happening in chip design.

     dn