Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Firewalls and IS Network bodies

From: Gary Crumrine <gcrum () us-state gov>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 08:44:22 -0500

Hi Mike, I tend to think that this is one of those gray areas that depends
on how your situation is structured.  I have worked under both scenarios,
as both can make impassioned claims for the firewall services.  Both worked
well, but they seemed to work better when coming under a department that
was responsible for security.  Why?, well that takes a long
explanation...and I'll try to be brief.  The core reason IMHO comes down to
autonomy.  The firewall is at a point in the network, that really can see
everything that is going on within an organization, at least at a point
where that company projects it's presence to the world.  This device is
responsible for many things, to probably include limiting unauthorized
access and protecting assets, but it also is used to enforce corporate
policy.  By taking it out of networking hands, you can avoid some of the
associated conflict of interest problems that always seem to come up.   I
have seen situations where a network manager didn't inform his superiors of
a problem, and just swept it under the carpet so to speak.  Only to have it
jump up again later and cost the company a whole lot of money.  Much more
than if they had dealt with the problem the first time it was noticed.  The
supervisor was afraid that his reputation would suffer if it got out.

Some people will lobby for the networks branch, because it is a device that
passes packets...and possibly, they use the same personnel to manage both
the network and the firewall.  This may make it difficult for that
individual to be loyal to two bosses.

While others will look to the security folks.  For the above reasons.

This struggle can cause some infighting... and it is very important to get
all the management players together and thinking as a team. And that their
actions, and the actions of others should not be taken personal.   Bottom
line, is that you have to develop the "For the good of the hive" mentality.
 It is hard to do sometimes.

The best solution in a perfect world, would be that all the players adopt
the rule that they are there to solve problems, and that all their energy
should reflect that.  An environment where people are not interested in
finger pointing , but rather they see these challenges as opportunities to
work together, is the optimal solution.  It takes good managers, and good
workers to make this happen.

Good luck with your choices