Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Firewalls and IS Network bodies

From: Mark Curley <mcurley () baf com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 13:31:40 -0800

Actually, it should not matter which group handles it, as long
as they are willing and able to implement the security policy
of the company.  Even if they don't have the security mindset
or know-how, it might work OK if the policy is set by people
who do and operations does the "administration" work.

However, I do realize that in some organizations there are turf
battles around this (I've seen it in a friend of mine's company).
Perhaps one way around this is to choose a firewall solution which
looks (physically and interface) more like a server and less like a
router.

Or you can argue it's an access control device and it should be
controlled by the department which handles remote access.
Or is it a productivity protection tool and it should be handled
by HR?
Or is it designed to protect the company from legal suits from download
of
unauthorized software.  It should then be controlled by the Legal
Department
or the physical security guards or Procurement who handles contract?

You see what I'm getting at?  Companies have different organizational
structures and a firewall has multiple functions and affects the entire
organization.  What to do?  Some companies have a separate Firewall
department.   Maybe you can get yourself transferred to the network
department
as the firewall administrator.

Mark Curley