Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Firewalls and IS Network bodies

From: "Stout, William" <StoutW () pios com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:13:19 -0500

<Disclaimer Note="Generalities follow">

Pro-MIS:
        o Network guys don't deal with O.S. on a daily basis.
        o Network guys don't deal with user authentication/user account
management/personnel lists.
        o Network guys don't know how to tighten SMTP
        o Network guys don't know DNS, NNTP, NTP services
        o Network guys don't know compilers or how to review source

Pro-Network:
        o MIS guys don't know TCP/IP subnetting/routing/protocols.
        o MIS guys don't know packet filtering.
        o MIS guys don't know WANs
</Disclaimer>

If firewall user authentication is not yet tied with internal O.S.
authentication systems, eventually it will be.

Bill Stout
 Seems all firewall companies will eventually be purchased by network
companies, or die.