Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Firewalls and IS Network bodies

From: "Biggerstaff, Craig T" <Craig.T.Biggerstaff () usahq unitedspacealliance com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:12:09 -0600

I have a problem with the idea that there can be completely separate
"policy" groups and "operations" groups.

Those who have expertise in networking and security matters generally
gained it through daily exposure to operational hazards, and are better
equipped to recognize a flawed policy than policy makers who doesn't
have to worry about the details.  If policy makers can deflect all
criticisms to the operations group, then even a good policy will become
deformed, over time, from its original intent.  Witness the IS shops who
decide arbitrarily to worship at the altar of Bill and make their
company 100% Microsoft, deferring until later the decisions about
security.  In these situations the operations folks have three choices:
(a) get better jobs elsewhere; (b) become the "bad cop" that others hate
because operations "keeps us from getting our work done"; or (c) duck
and cover.

-- Craig Biggerstaff