Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Foreign Student Dealing with China's Web Filtering of US Websites

From: Bruce Heldman <heldmanb () QUEENS EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 13:13:07 +0000

We have a foreign student who'll be returning to mainland China since our Fall semester is online only.   Prior
experiences he's had with the Chinese government's Web filtering suggest he will be blocked from browsing various US
sites required for his course work.

Are there any options that would help us with this situation?

We've considered:

1.      Granting him VPN access, but I believe non-university wouldn't be tunneled.  It would go through his default
gateway.

2.      Assigning him a VDI workstation.  He would then connect to this university VDI workstation (with or without
VPN) and browse from that station.

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated

Bruce Heldman
Sr. Director of Technology Infrastructure & Support
Queens University of Charlotte
1900 Selwyn Avenue
Charlotte, NC  28274
Tel:   704-971-5409