Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Foreign Student Dealing with China's Web Filtering of US Websites

From: "Ayala, Daniel" <ayaladan () MSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 13:58:02 +0000

Hi Bruce,

The most consistent thing when dealing with connectivity to western services in China is the inconsistency in
connectivity to western services. The fact that VPN to your campus works one day from a country may not mean that it
works the next, and maybe not from all regions in the country. Layer on this some new technology limits on TLS 1.3
which makes it harder for national firewalls/filtering to limit specific destinations, so it has been summarily blocked
in China which eliminates a number of technologies.

There is also the fact that care needs to be taken when giving recommendations on how to connect that may be illegal in
a particular jurisdiction. While the goal is to connect students and keep them connected, we should not rely on or
recommend solutions that we know to be illegal in their area (and there are more countries than just China where
connectivity is a changing landscape). As such, our approach as been to establish a joint academic/technology approach
to give instructors a suite of options that they can leverage and consider for international students, along with the
up-front understanding that students in these areas will likely require some flexibility by the instructor to use these
multiple paths, through the use of a suite of technologies perhaps used in creative, new ways.

https://tech.msu.edu/about/guidelines-policies/exploring-alternative-edtech-approaches-for-international-student-participation/

This document is to a stage where were are actively sharing and using it throughout Michigan State University as we
lead up to the start of the fall semester. But if you have any feedback or ideas based upon it, please share them as we
consider this topic a permenent work-in-progress..  Thank you!

Dan

Daniel Ayala
Interim CISO
Michigan State University
ayaladan () msu edu<mailto:ayaladan () msu edu>