Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Foreign Student Dealing with China's Web Filtering of US Websites

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 09:31:45 -0400

While this isn't something that we have direct experience with... recent
reports are that PRC is blocking TLS 1.3 outright, so your VPN might have
problems

for (1) the difference is full-tunnel vs. split-tunnel VPN

From a technological perspective, I would go with (2), and have a local (to
you) hosted VM that they use, but keep it isolated from everything else -
assume that it will be compromised by PRC.

I would also recommend talking to your OGC about the ramifications of,
effectively, helping a Chinese national bypass the PRC's great firewall

Frank