Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Zoom Communication

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 16:17:47 -0400

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 2:26 PM Bukowski, David <bukowski () cod edu> wrote:

The Zoom "security" concerns were brought up during GrimmCon yesterday.
@HackingDave (Dave Kennedy) did a great closing keynote speech and this was
one of his topics.  He brought up the way of how the security
professionals/researchers who publicly criticized Zoom and likened it to a
bunch of kids and how they act childishly.  It is good to bring up the
security concerns, but the way it is brought up is important.  The way Zoom
handled it and pretty much got patches out in a day is significant.  Do we
see other vendors pump out fixes as they come in as fast as Zoom did.  Not
usually.  So I commend Zoom on the prompt response they did in getting
fixes issued.

I'm standing by my earlier comments from 2/4/2020:

https://seclists.org/educause/2020/q2/17

I have been MASSIVELY disappointed with the Tech community, the InfoSec
community and the press.

kmw