Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Zoom Communication

From: "Bukowski, David" <bukowski () COD EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 18:26:46 +0000

The Zoom "security" concerns were brought up during GrimmCon yesterday.  @HackingDave (Dave Kennedy) did a great
closing keynote speech and this was one of his topics.  He brought up the way of how the security
professionals/researchers who publicly criticized Zoom and likened it to a bunch of kids and how they act childishly.
It is good to bring up the security concerns, but the way it is brought up is important.  The way Zoom handled it and
pretty much got patches out in a day is significant.  Do we see other vendors pump out fixes as they come in as fast as
Zoom did.  Not usually.  So I commend Zoom on the prompt response they did in getting fixes issued.
It is only as secure as you are in responsible for it.  If you are lax in your deployment, then your security is going
to be lax as well.  If you deploy it properly and have users be responsible, it is a fairly secure platform.
So a lot of the "Security Hype" was uncalled for by the media.