Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Updated criteria for allowing local admin privileges on workstations

From: Joel McKenzie <mckenzie () WCU EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 13:49:54 +0000

We have recently pushed out a policy to our Win10 systems to force the user to enter their credentials when admin privs
are needed (which I believe is on par with MacOS). This isn't perfect, but it does allow them to self-elevate w/o IT
intervention and hopefully it gives them pause to wonder if they are being prompted for credentials for something they
didn't initiate.  The default setting was to just click a yes/no button when admin privs were required.

-Joel P. McKenzie, MBA, CISSP
-Chief Information Security Officer
-Western Carolina University