Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Updated criteria for allowing local admin privileges on workstations

From: "Jim A. Bole" <jbole () STEVENSON EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 21:17:40 +0000

We're reviewing what valid use cases there might be for giving someone local admin privileges on their workstation (PC
or Mac).

Currently we default to no admin rights. On Macs we are running Mojave and have just started using Jamf Pro. On PCs we
are at Win10 and just starting to deploy InTune. I don't' think we haven't fully leveraged these tools capabilities to
allow users more flexibility with self-service apps, etc.

I'm curious what typical cases folks are seeing for various groups of users (faculty, staff, etc.) that would require
giving users full admin privileges.

I did run across this thread from 2018:

http://listserv.educause.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=SECURITY;6e798529.1808

Thanks.

Jim Bole
Director of Information Security
Stevenson University
1525 Greenspring Valley Road
Stevenson, MD, 21153-0641
jbole () stevenson edu | O: 443-334-2696