Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Updated criteria for allowing local admin privileges on workstations

From: Judith Tabron <judith.tabron () GMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 11:02:54 -0500

I think Robert's policy is a good one, Jim, but I'd also say you're on the
right track if you want to more fully leverage management tools to segment
out machines that are not centrally managed. JAMF and InTune (I know
something about JAMF, nothing about InTune) might help you a bit, but you
also might want to put such users in their own Active Directory group for
different GPO management, and/or their own network.

I've had use cases where a researcher needs to use special software
(especially software that won't run unless it's root, ugh), but plenty of
those users don't have the technical wherewithal to manage their machine to
central office's standards. Finding a way to let them do what they have to
do while minimizing danger to the rest of the users/network and providing
them with a level of support that's inbetween fully-managed and hands-off
is necessary, I think.

Rooting for you,
Judith

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 4:57 PM Robert Berlinger <Robert.Berlinger () cuny edu>