Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Interesting Research

From: "Bridges, Robert A." <0000008d8011d045-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 23:09:56 +0000

Alternatively, could the researcher only store interesting features of the passwords and not the passwords? For example

  *   Length
  *   Number of lower/upper-case, numbers, other symbols
  *   Likelihood of the password given a model of words (e.g. created from a large vocabulary)
  *   Likelihood of the password given a model of passwords (e.g, from pwned databases)
  *   Distance of the password from things like the users name, username, etc.
  *   Etc.

Robert A. Bridges, PhD, Cyber Security Research Mathematician, Oak Ridge National Laboratory