Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Interesting Research

From: John McCabe <0000009ba94df455-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 17:38:20 -0400

Hi Ron,

Like you, I would say "heck no!"

It may be a fool's errand but this researcher may not be familiar with the
research domain. If they are just entering this field, you may need to be
attentive with what they are doing on campus.

See if they have read "Do Users’ Perceptions of Password Security Match
Reality?," https://www.blaseur.com/papers/chi16-pwperceptions.pdf, and if
so what are their thoughts on the methodology. It sidesteps recording
active user passwords and considers human perceptions on password strength.

Another important paper to gauge their familiarity would be "The Security
of Modern Password Expiration: An Algorithmic Framework and Empirical
Analysis," http://www.cs.unc.edu/~reiter/papers/2010/CCS.pdf, which
questions password expiration.

A third paper would be "Testing Metrics for Password Creation Policies by
Attacking Large Sets of Revealed Passwords,"
https://www.cs.umd.edu/~jkatz/security/downloads/passwords_revealed-weir.pdf,
which questions entropy-based password creation strength tests such as NIST
SP 800-63 used to.

Datasets are crucial in research. It is vitally important that researchers
do not invest in research problems where the datasets are risky,
incomplete, erroneous. The National Science Foundation requires researchers
to be very mindful with respect to human test subjects,
https://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/human.jsp. Any identifying information
(which the password may) OR any data that would reasonably risk harm (which
may be true if the user reuses passwords) is not allowed. This research may
not be funded by the NSF but the NSF policy is reasonable to most people
and likely your local civil court. If this researcher acts carefree to any
of this, you should alert your institution's general counsel and this
researcher's supervising dean.

Regards,
John