Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Interesting Research

From: John Chapman <John.Chapman () JISC AC UK>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 08:30:34 +0000

Not a direct response to your question, but the following may be of
interest.

UCL in the UK took an interesting approach to encouraging the use of strong
passwords. They forced weaker passwords to be changed more often (something
students didn't like at all) and stronger passwords wouldn't expire for a
much longer period.

They set passwords to be valid for between 100 and 350 days depending on its
strength when it was set.

There is a slide set from Bridget Kenyon (formerly of UCL) on SlideShare at
https://www.slideshare.net/JISC/password-lifespans-at-ucl-a-training-opportu
nity explaining their approach.

John

-
Dr John Chapman CISSP CISM
Head of security operations centre
M 07468 727058
Twitter http://twitter.com/chapman_john
Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Oxford, Didcot, OX11 0SG

jisc.ac.uk

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by
guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT No.
GB 197 0632 86. Jisc's registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower Hill,
Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.

Jisc Services Limited is a wholly owned Jisc subsidiary and a company
limited by guarantee which is registered in England under company number
2881024, VAT number GB 197 0632 86. The registered office is: One Castle
Park, Tower Hill, Bristol BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.