Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Interesting Research

From: "Jones, Mark B" <Mark.B.Jones () UTH TMC EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 20:20:09 +0000

I suggest that the analysis of the chosen password be done at the time it is set before the password is protected.  It
requires that the collection tool be more complicated, but the dataset would be too dangerous left in clear text.

*        Allow the user to set any password they like

*        Apply any 'password strength algorithm' that would usually be applied before allowing the password

*        Record the results of the strength algorithm

*        Protect the chosen password as it is stored