Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Which IAM solution do you recommend?

From: "Brautigam, Keith Adam" <kab65 () PSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 14:44:27 +0000

When looking at Gartner be sure to distinguish between “Access Management” and “Identity Governance Administration
(IGA)” solutions.  The former are geared towards Web SSO, which includes just in time provisioning and realtime access
management decisions (geographic location, etc).  The latter are systems intended to manage the identity lifecycle.
That includes data synchronization between systems and admin time access management (i.e. role assignment based on
R/ABAC policies and then provisioning accounts and roles to target systems independent of the person accessing those
services).

Gartner has a separate evaluation for each category, so there are two different magic quadrants.  That’s why you see
some companies like SailPoint touting a partnership with Okta in order to provide a complete solution.

At Penn State we are moving from a home grown "identity management system" to SailPoint for IGA.  For “Access
management” / Web SSO we are using Shibboleth with OpenLDAP groups for authorization to various services.  We’re very
interested in Azure AD’s capabilities in that space, but like Okta, I Azure AD doesn’t support multi-lateral
federations like InCommon.  Instead, they pre-built bilateral federations with each vendor and then make it easy for
you to enable them.

Keith