Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Personal Email and other Services

From: Jeff Choo <jeff_choo () WILLIAMJAMES EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 18:04:01 +0000

Hi Petrus,

Generally, we don't allow it.  All institution businesses have to be on a college sanctioned/supported platform.
Full-disclosure, we are an office 365 shop.  We do make exceptions case by case when requested to allow the use of
services like Dropbox or google if:

1.       Clear ownership is established (who will be in charge of managing this service)

2.       After evaluating the purpose, the type of contents, and the reason for using such service, that we deem it has
a low security and compliance risk.

3.       An admin account is created to allow the IT office to manage the service if needed (and for
assessment/monitoring)

4.       An "understanding" document is signed that the owners who are responsible for the service understand the
restrictions and potential risks.

5.       IT Office reserves the right to terminate the use of such service at any given time if any violation of the
"understanding" and/or any other security compliance is detected on such service/platform.

6.       Annual review on whether to renew the service contract and re-evaluate if the original reasons for using such
service are still valid.  If the reasons are no longer valid (i.e. we now have the technology/infrastructure to do what
wasn't available in the past) - we will give the owners a time to migrate to a recommended/supported system and then
terminate the service.

After I explained this policy to people - most have opted to use a supported system.
Hope this helps!

Regards
Jeff

"A problem well put is half solved." - John Dewey

Jeff Choo - Director, Information Technology | Information Security Officer
William James College
One Wells Avenue, Newton, MA 02459
Helpdesk: 617-327-6777 x1600
Direct: 617-564-9344