Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Locking Computer Policy

From: "Burns, Denis" <denis.burns () MED FSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 13:48:00 +0000

Hi Ron,

We push policy to all domain machines with inactivity timers set to:

a)       15 minutes for all standard machines issued to users

b)      30 minutes for classroom and conference room computers

We also have an exception process that allows certain machines to not have these policies applied (digital signage,
security camera monitoring stations, etc).

Additionally, as of Windows 10, we have removed admin privileges from all accounts used for interactive sessions.  This
inhibits our folks from installing ‘mouse wiggler’ applications to circumvent the policy.

Best,
-d

PS – Great area that you live in.  I grew up next door in Denville.

Denis Burns Information Security and Privacy Officer - College of Medicine - Florida State University
(850) 644-3648 – denis.burns () med fsu edu<mailto:denis.burns () med fsu edu>  *** Be a cyberhero! Build a safe
cyberspace at Florida State. ***