Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Locking Computer Policy

From: Julian Y Koh <kohster () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 12:33:23 +0000

On May 1, 2019, at 17:43, Ronald Loneker <rloneker () CSE EDU<mailto:rloneker () CSE EDU>> wrote:

We are noticing some people not following procedure on this, and we want to take action.

What best practices are you using at your institution in terms of the amount of time before a computer locks
automatically during inactivity?

It’s not a best practice to use those unlocked computers to send spurious email and chat messages to various people
posing as the user of the computer?  Shoot, we’re going to have to change things around here….

(insert huge row of smileys here)

--
Julian Y. Koh
Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2020 Ridge Avenue #331
Evanston, IL 60208
+1-847-467-5780
Northwestern IT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>