Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External Sender] [SECURITY] Restricting PC Admin Rights

From: "Davis, Chris" <CDavis () LOURDES EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 16:02:38 +0000

For such an easy security measure, this always creates havoc.  On the IT side of things, so many things can be
prevented with a least privilege model.  However, from the other side of the house, we always meet huge resistance
because we are “taking away admin rights” from our users.

People feel like we don’t trust them.  And from a certain point of view that is right.  In the security world, we
should not trust anyone.  But at the same time, the people I really don’t trust are those that are targeting our
employees.  So, this is measure that gives some quick security at no cost, other than a change in the way our users do
things.

I will be watching this thread closely.

Chris

Christopher Davis, Ph.D.
Chief Information Officer
Assistant Professor of Education
Apple Teacher
Lourdes University
6832 Convent Blvd | REH 003P | Sylvania, OH 43560
cdavis () lourdes edu<mailto:cdavis () lourdes edu>

CyberAware – Be aware. Stay Secure!
Lourdes University will never ask you to send sensitive information through unsecure channels. Report any message that
asks you to provide or confirm personal information such as credit card and/or bank account numbers, Social Security
numbers, passwords, etc. or any other suspicious activity to infosec () lourdes edu. For more information please visit
lourdes.edu/cyberaware.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s)
and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not
the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its
attachments is strictly prohibited.