Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SIEM Tools

From: "Collyer, Jeffrey W. (jwc3f)" <jwc3f () VIRGINIA EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 16:39:35 +0000

Ok I’ll bite.

I do love Splunk.  I’m not anti-ELK, but I know what works for me.

Schema-on-search is a huge huge win to me.  I do not know all the fields I may care about in all my data prior to
ingesting, and we’re adding more every day. We can argue about needing to know everything in your data prior to
indexing, but thats not a Splunk failing if you consider it one.  Splunk solves that problem for me.

Having a company with paid support behind the product and a large community of supporters is invaluable.  I’m one guy.
I stood up a 2 search head, 3 indexer, 2 forwarder cluster by myself.  Managing it is not a full time job.  ELK is much
more intensive.  Support from Splunk itself has always been top notch when I’ve needed it.  At a .conf2106 (the splunk
conference) the documentation group had a booth. I complained a them about something I had found unclear.  They took
notes and actually thanked me for the feedback.  The docs were updated to be more clear the Monday following the
conference.  They take feedback seriously.

Dashboards/saved searches/alerts - Our analysts write their own.  They don’t need to come to me to build something in
Kabana for them.  Maybe thats not the hurdle it used to be, but I’ve not revisited ELK lately.  Do they sometimes break
thing or write searches that are too broad. Sure.  But their accounts are limited to the resources they can consume and
when their search falls over, its generally just their search and not the whole cluster.

Does Splunk have its warts, sure.  Is it expensive and you pay for what you ingest - yes.  Is it worth it?  To me it is.

Ultimately it comes down to paying to be able to do more, faster with Splunk or devoting manpower/time to managing ELK.
 You pay either way its just comes down to what you want to pay with.

Jeff