Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Dept of Edu Letters

From: "Hudson, Edward" <ehudson () CALSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 19:33:19 +0000

Interested in institutions response to the DoE taking an increasingly broad interpretation of breach reporting
obligations around any security breach of PII. At a recent conference the DoE lead presentation reportedly includes
insistence that

1-ALL (broadly defined) “breaches” be reported “immediately” (i.e. within a day )

2- an announcement that GLBA audits of institutions will begin in 2018 with fines consistent with Clery fines (up to
54,789) for each violation.

A read of those Dear Colleague letters, the obligation (especially under GLBA, which regulates in the financial sector)
is to ensure the security and confidentiality of student financial aid records/information only, and that the data
breach notification requirements relate to that subset of information only, not all PII.  But it sounds like the DoE is
now interpreting their mandate and authority much more broadly. A review of one of their recent letters was, in my
view, very heavy handed and threatening and stemmed from a random media post, not from an actual incident.

Would like to talk to anyone off line that has had to go through this process with DoE.

Best

Ed Hudson

Interim CISO

401 Golden Shore

Long Beach, CA 90802

Tel 562-951-8431

ehudson () calstate edu

I subscribe to e-mail classification: i=Information, a=Action, u=Urgent