Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Measures of detecting breached email accounts

From: Kevin Crider <kcrider () SKIDMORE EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 18:04:59 +0000

We are an O365 shop and have been using the built-in location feature that Keenan mentions. What it does is flag when
an account is accessed from 2 different geographic locations (that aren’t physically possible at or near the same
time). For example, a login at from New York and/then a login from Nigeria.

Not only has this been helpful with us being proactive, but it has been VERY informative. Like, we have found that
99.9% of the bad stuff we see/get come from Nigeria…AND many times there is an initial login from New Jersey (always
NJ) using the compromised account, then the Nigerian login…then the flurry of spam…

Anyway…this does not help us always block bad (mostly phishing is what we see) messages…it does help, but mainly to
detect and protect accounts not manage spam. I’d be very interested to hear from a MS shop that is configuring spam
protection outside of what’s delivered or “default”…

Kevin