Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Dept of Edu Letters

From: Jarret Cummings <jcummings () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 20:39:18 +0000

Hi, Ed – EDUCAUSE has initiated direct discussions with the Federal Student Aid senior advisor for cybersecurity about
problems with the guidance that FSA both has and hasn’t provided on this topic, and how to expand the dialogue with our
members to address both the way compliance obligations are being defined and interpreted as well as the lack of
documented principles and processes for meeting them.

That, of course, is going to take some time to pull together. Given the need for institutional response in the near
term, I would recommend asking university counsel to take a look at the single provision in the FSA Program
Participation Agreement that speaks to the GLBA Safeguards Rule, as well as the two provisions in the Student Aid
Internet Gateway Agreement that address breach issues. It is important that the institution review its copy of those
agreements, since versions of the agreements vary across institutions depending on when they’ve been signed. What is
actually in your version of each bears on your compliance obligations, although you can access generic versions of the
docs. as well as other docs. I’ll mention at: https://ifap.ed.gov/eannouncements/Cyber.html.

In addition to the PPA and SAIG Agreement, there are two “Dear Colleague Letters” relevant to FSA’s cybersecurity
guidance: https://ifap.ed.gov/dpcletters/GEN1518.html and https://ifap.ed.gov/dpcletters/GEN1612.html. The most
important for this discussion is the first one, because it’s the letter in which FSA asserts that the SAIG Agreement
requires institution to report “suspected” breaches. You will want your institutional/system legal counsel to compare
the statement in GEN 15-18 with what the SAIG Agreement actually says; the provision that talks about institutions
reporting a breach immediately is distinct from the provision that talks about what ED can do in sharing information
with other federal agencies if it suspects an institution has had a breach. Thus far, we have yet to see formal
documentation that connects the two in the way FSA appears to be asserting, or even formal documentation that
establishes the definition of breach and related processes (i.e., “immediately”) that have been raised in presentations
and the FAQs on the FSA Cybersecurity Compliance page (see link above).

Finally, as relates to the Safeguards Rule audit objective, which we expect will be included in the FY18 federal single
audit process although that is not yet officially confirmed, the actual text of the objective
(https://ifap.ed.gov/eannouncements/attachments/FY18DraftLanguageSecuringStudentInformation.pdf) limits the auditor to
seeing if the institution has a few key elements of the Rule in place (information security coordinator, a risk
assessment, documented safeguards for identified risks). The auditor is not charged with or empowered to evaluate the
nature of what the institution has implemented in those areas, just that it has addressed them (and documented that).

We will have more to say as the engagement with FSA takes shape. In the meantime, I have also informed the presidential
and other higher education leadership associations about the problems emerging in this space. As a result of those
discussions, I have every expectation that we can count on their support in trying to get FSA and ED to work with us
effectively in this area. - Jarret

Jarret S. Cummings
Director of Policy and Government Relations

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good