Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Measures of detecting breached email accounts

From: Valdis Kletnieks <valdis.kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 12:14:41 -0500

On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 16:54:50 -0800, Joseph Tam said:

Sounding the alarm on failed login attempt will have me looking at
logs every minute, night and day.  Even at my modest installation,
this happens far too frequently to be consider a useful trigger for
notification: it's not anomolous, it's background radiation.

I did say *exception* analysis, didn't I? Look for stuff that doesn't
look like background radiation. ;)

In the context of Email account, here are some anomolous things you
could look for:

      - unusual volume, especially at unusual times
      - unusual volume of failed deliveries (e.g. unknown user).
      - unusual login origin (Ukraine? Romania? Tunisia? etc.)
              The larger and more diverse your userbase, the
              harder this gets to discern.
      - number of different successful login locale within a
              time interval (*)
      - blacklist monitoring
      - egress spam filtering/statistics

See? We're on the same page. ;)