Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Shodan value

From: Valdis Kletnieks <valdis.kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 13:24:58 -0400

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 23:53:22 -0600, Cameron Dixon said:

Yes, it could be asserted by e.g., a university, that the vulnerabilities
found on their network impact them regardless of whether they manage the
devices on their network. A university could also attempt to claim some
‘ownership’ over user devices by stating that an acceptable use agreement was
signed, binding their uses to some conditions. While both may be true, it is
not reasonable that the Department of Homeland Security should be, or have the
appearance of, scan1ning individual, independent citizens who didn't sign up to
be scanned.

You guys willing to work with a university that says "We have 2 /16's, but we're
only really worried about these 12 /24's in that space?"

Also, do you do IPv6? :)