Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Shodan value

From: Nicholas Garigliano <ngarigl8 () NAZ EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 10:36:17 -0400

My thoughts on this subject.  Please feel free to point out anything I have
wrong or missed or am deluded on......

From an external perspective there are two major threats to consider:

1. Drive by attack based on the results of an automated info gathering
process (service scan followed by vulnerability scan) against your IP
space.  Based on the results, it then attempts to pragmatically leverage
known weaknesses that it discovers to gain access.

2.  Directed attack against your IP space.  The attacker is going after you
specifically with the goal of gaining access to your internal network or
for performing a DoS on your site/service or presence in general.

Blocking Shodan is not really going to gain you much when considering
either scenario.  While it might make it more difficult, not having access
to Shodan information isn't really going to deter any determined attacker.
They have the same access to your IP space that Shodan has and it isn't
difficult to gather that info.   Shodan is just a search engine.  Security
through obscurity rarely gains you much.  There is also the issue of
maintaining an IP list for Shodan nodes in your firewall.

You can actually use Shodan to your advantage to help you find flaws in
your external configuration that you might miss.   You can use their API to
automate checking on a regular basis.  A cool framework to work with along
these lines is Recon-ng  (https://bitbucket.org/LaNMaSteR53/recon-ng).
Definitely worth spending some time with.

Thanks,

Nick Garigliano
Network Security Engineer
Enterprise & Network Solutions