Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HEISC July 2017 Update: New Resources & List Reminders

From: Valerie Vogel <vvogel () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 15:24:25 +0000

Good morning,

In addition to sharing the latest from HEISC, we also wanted to mention two recent EDUCAUSE newsletters featuring
security-related resources.

  *   July 2017 EDUCAUSE at a
Glance<https://educause-nfe.informz.net/informzdataservice/onlineversion/ind/bWFpbGluZ2luc3RhbmNlaWQ9Njc1NTUwOSZzdWJzY3JpYmVyaWQ9MTA5MDY4NDY3MQ==>
  *   July 2017 ECAR
Update<https://educause-nfe.informz.net/informzdataservice/onlineversion/ind/bWFpbGluZ2luc3RhbmNlaWQ9Njc3NDI5NSZzdWJzY3JpYmVyaWQ9MTA5MDY4NDY3MQ==>:
 Spotlight on the CISO

NOTE: This message also offers a few friendly reminders about Security Discussion list participation.

Events

  *   You can still register for the August 9 extended online event: Metrics Mania! Using Metrics to Bolster Your
Higher Ed InfoSec
Program<https://events.educause.edu/webinar/2017/metrics-mania-using-metrics-to-bolster-your-higher-education-information-security-program>.
 Consider joining as a team!

Resources

  *   Creating an Anti-Phishing Campaign on a Small
Budget<http://er.educause.edu/blogs/2017/7/creating-an-anti-phishing-campaign-on-a-small-budget> by Carla Herling,
Drake University
  *   My First Experience Attending the EDUCAUSE Security Professionals
Conference<http://er.educause.edu/blogs/2017/7/my-first-experience-attending-the-educause-security-professionals-conference>
 by Frank Tamez, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
  *   CISOs Roll with their Roles<http://er.educause.edu/blogs/2017/7/cisos-roll-with-their-roles> by Jeffrey
Pomerantz, EDUCAUSE
  *   For more on the role of the CISO in higher ed, read the recently published ECAR report IT Leadership in Higher
Education, 2016: The Chief Information Security
Officer<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2017/7/it-leadership-in-higher-education-2016-the-chief-information-security-officer>
 (the third of four leadership reports in the EDUCAUSE IT Workforce in Higher Education 2016 research series).
  *   As you prepare for NCSAM events or activities on your campus this October, consider using our resource kit and
planning worksheet: www.educause.edu/ncsam<http://www.educause.edu/ncsam>

Security Discussion Group<https://www.educause.edu/discuss/security-discussion-group> Participation Reminders

  *   This list is public; anyone is welcome to subscribe.
  *   Archives are publicly available and searchable.
  *   Posts to this list may be aggregated by other sites such as http://seclists.org/.
  *   Replies will automatically go to the entire list. If you intend to respond directly to an individual on the list,
please be sure to check the “To:” line before sending your message.
  *   For more sensitive questions or sharing of information, consider using the REN-ISAC<https://www.ren-isac.net/>
list if you are a member.

Stay Informed

  *   Twitter<https://twitter.com/HEISCouncil>
  *   Pinterest<https://www.pinterest.com/heiscouncil/>
  *   YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/SecurityVideoContest>
  *   Security Matters blog column<http://er.educause.edu/columns/security-matters> in EDUCAUSE Review

Please send an e-mail to security-council () educause edu<mailto:security-council () educause edu> if you’d like to see
HEISC address new topics or create additional resources for this community!

Thank you,
Valerie

Valerie Vogel
Senior Manager, Cybersecurity Program

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
direct: 202.331.5374 | twitter: @HEISCouncil | vvogel () educause edu<mailto:vvogel () educause edu>

Become a Member- Everyone at your organization is an EDUCAUSE member when you join | Access discounts, resources, and
valuable peer networks | Discover membership<https://www.educause.edu/about/discover-membership>

Attend the EDUCAUSE Metrics
Mania!<https://events.educause.edu/webinar/2017/metrics-mania-using-metrics-to-bolster-your-higher-education-information-security-program>
 online seminar, August 9, 2017.