Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Best practices for identifying students

From: WALTER KERNER <walter_kerner () FITNYC EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 07:48:45 -0400

Hi all.  Can you comment on your practices and procedures for confirming
student identity if they request a password re-set?  We have to service
people in person, through email, and on the phone.  A couple of ideas if
have heard

·         Ask the caller/emailer to text or email a picture of him/herself

·         Ask the caller/emailer questions from his/her student record,
like birthdate or course name

·         Set up a knowledge-based question set like mother’s maiden name
or favorite movie.

Are you using these or other techniques?  We appreciate the insights.
Thanks

Walter Kerner

Acting AVP and CISO

[image: blue]