Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Subject: HEISC Quarterly Update, September 2017

From: "Corn, Michael" <mcorn () UCSD EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 18:37:50 +0000

Dear Colleagues,

We’ve selected 10 new HEISC resources and upcoming projects to highlight in this “back-to-school” edition of our
quarterly update.

New Resources

  *   Learn about the 5 key security and privacy resources offered by EDUCAUSE on our new cybersecurity member
orientation page<https://www.educause.edu/about/discover-membership/cybersecurity-member-orientation>.

  *   Check out the Roadmap for CPOs in Higher
Education<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2017/8/the-higher-education-chief-privacy-officer-primer-part-2>, a
new resource for Chief Privacy Officers.

  *   Read the recently published ECAR report: IT Leadership in Higher Education, 2016: The Chief Information Security
Officer<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2017/7/it-leadership-in-higher-education-2016-the-chief-information-security-officer>

  *   Get ready for NCSAM events & activities in October using our handy planning
resources<https://www.educause.edu/ncsam>.

  *   If you missed the August 9 extended online event, Metrics Mania! Using Metrics to Bolster Your Higher Ed InfoSec
Program<https://events.educause.edu/webinar/2017/metrics-mania-using-metrics-to-bolster-your-higher-education-information-security-program>,
 recordings are now available for purchase.

  *   Curious about
HECVAT<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2016/10/higher-education-cloud-vendor-assessment-tool>? Look for the
information security lightning talk at the Internet2 Tech Exchange in San Francisco or the poster session at EDUCAUSE
2017 in Philadelphia.

  *   15 new guest blogs were published between June-August in the EDUCAUSE Review Security Matters
column<http://er.educause.edu/columns/security-matters>.

Upcoming Activities

  *   The 2018 Security Professionals Conference Call for Proposals (CFP) is now
open<https://events.educause.edu/security-professionals-conference/2018>. Proposal submissions for track sessions and
preconference seminars will be accepted through October 24.

  *   We will publish 12 new monthly topics (as blogs with customizable content and additional resources) as part of
the 2018 Campus Security Awareness
Campaign<https://www.educause.edu/focus-areas-and-initiatives/policy-and-security/cybersecurity-initiative/community-engagement/security-awareness#securityawareness>
 in September so you can start planning next year’s security awareness and education efforts sooner.

  *   We are launching a new HEISC working group to develop an information security investment roadmap for institutions
with limited resources and/or those that are just starting to think about their information security programs. The
final roadmap should present a realistic set of investments and processes for low-resourced and newly-created
information security programs. We anticipate sharing preliminary results next spring.

Please let us know if you have any questions or would like to discuss other new resources you’d like to see HEISC
develop for the community!

Thank you,

Sharon Pitt and Mike Corn

Co-Chairs, Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC)

www.educause.edu/security<http://www.educause.edu/security>

Michael Corn | Chief Information Security Officer
mcorn () ucsd edu
University of California San Diego | ITS - Information Technology Services
10280 N. Torrey Pines Road, Suite 255 | La Jolla CA 92093 MC 0928