Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Best practices for identifying students

From: "Jones, Mark B" <Mark.B.Jones () UTH TMC EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 19:25:15 +0000

In the age of Facebook, it is too easy to obtain a picture to text or email.
Student record quizzes and security questions are in my opinion too easy to obtain.

I like schemes that offer the user multiple ways to prove their identity such as:
Sending a onetime use link to a personal, preregistered email address
Sending a code to a preregistered mobile phone
Placing a live call to a preregistered mobile phone
Conducting the ‘in-person’ identity vetting procedure over live video