Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Best practices for identifying students

From: Joanna Grama <jgrama () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 11:59:04 +0000

Good morning, Walter:

I am sure that you will get many responses to your question from members on this list.  In addition, the Higher
Education Information Security Council (HEISC) has created an Information Security
Guide<http://www.educause.edu/security/guide> that contains a chapter on identity and access management topics.  You
may find some of the information in that chapter helpful:
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/2014infosecurityguide/Identity+and+Access+Management#IdentityandAccessManagement-Management
In particular, click on the link at the top of the page for “User Access Management.”  If you scroll down through that
section, there are some institutional case studies on identity proofing tactics that may be useful to you.

The Information Security Guide is aligned with multiple standards (NIST 800-53; ISO/IEC 27002:2013; etc.) and includes
key objectives and implementation guidance to assist organizations with developing an effective information security
program. What makes the HEISC Information Security Guide so unique is that resources and content included in Guide
chapters are provided by higher education information security professionals with expertise in both information
security and higher education.

If I can be of more assistance, please do let me know.

Kind regards,
Joanna

Joanna Grama, JD, CISSP, CRISC, CIPT
Director of Cybersecurity and IT GRC Programs

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
282 Century Place, Suite 5000, Louisville, CO 80027
direct: 720.406.6769 | cell: 720.507.5983 | jgrama () educause edu<mailto:jgrama () educause edu>

Become a Member- Everyone at your organization is an EDUCAUSE member when you join | Access discounts, resources, and
valuable peer networks | Discover membership<https://www.educause.edu/about/discover-membership>