Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security training/conference for senior executives

From: Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 16:01:15 +0000

Personally, I would not send senior executives to third-party security training.  Develop your own training session
that covers your institutions risks, policies, resources, etc. in the context of the broader information security
landscape.  Help them make the connections between what they might hear in the news and what that means to your campus.
 Give them a chance to ask about how it impacts specific topics of concern to them.  Get more in-person time with them
to build trust.

It also forces you to be able to answer a lot of questions they might have:

·         Does (HIPAA, GLBA, EU GDPR, FISMA, PCI, etc.) apply to us?

·         What would a breach cost us?

·         Would our insurance cover that?

·         How many records with SSNs do we have?

·         How much do we spend on information security?

·         What things do we do to protect data?

·         Do we store sensitive information with third-parties?

·         How/when do we engage with law enforcement?

·         What about this thing I heard in the news?

Even if it means spending a good chunk of time getting multiple face-to-face meetings scheduled, spending 30-60 minutes
with each senior executive (or them as a group) can have immense value in building their understanding of the issues
and their trust in you to chart a path to address them.

Brad Judy

Information Security Officer
Office of Information Security
University of Colorado