Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Protecting workstations with Duo

From: "Scantlin, Aaron J." <ScantlinA () MISSOURI EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 18:48:38 +0000

I disagree; I am much more apt to leaving my phone somewhere than I am my keys (where my YubiKey lives).  That said, I
imagine there are plenty of people where the opposite is true, so as Rich said, choose a solution that provides an
acceptable balance of security and usability WRT your organization’s workflow.

FWIW, I really like using the YubiKey as a second factor for Windows login… if the key is not inserted, the user
attempting to login will get an authentication error, but it doesn’t tell you that it’s because you’re missing the
YubiKey.  Another handy trick a fellow MU employee shared with me is creating a “password prefix” that only you know
and configuring the second mode (3 second press) on the YubiKey to be a long, random string; you can then set your
password as the concatenation of your password prefix and YubiKey mode two output… I refer to it as 1.5 FA. ;)

Aaron J. Scantlin
Security Analyst, Division of IT
GSEC, GCFA
University of Missouri, Columbia
(W) +1-573-884-7555
(C)   +1-573-424-0539
scantlina () missouri edu<mailto:scantlina () missouri edu>