Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Protecting workstations with Duo

From: Greg Williams <gwillia5 () UCCS EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 18:17:59 +0000

We have done this, but very little.  In fact, I’ve only done this for my workstations.  Works great with wired
workstations, but does not work as well for laptops.  The workstations are usually wired, so you have direct
connectivity to DUO.  If you don’t have internet, there are 2 choices, you can either force MFA or bypass it, but
what’s the point of MFA if you can bypass it with losing internet connectivity.  This is the case for laptops with
wireless connectivity.  You can get it to work, but it will require that you allow and use pre-authorized 1 time
passcodes.

Haven’t integrated it with Group Policy, but you do have to be enrolled in DUO before you get it working.

Bottom line is that it’s secure, but a pain if you can’t guarantee that you will have internet connectivity.

Greg Williams, ME
Director of Networks and Infrastructure
Information Technology

Adjunct Faculty
Department of Computer Science – College of Engineering and Applied Science

University of Colorado Colorado Springs
1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway, (EPC 136A)
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
www.uccs.edu<http://www.uccs.edu>