Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How to reach college students about security?

From: Paul Kennedy <paul.kennedy () UCD IE>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 13:36:26 +0100

Hi Eric,

The idea's to promote awareness are really useful, particularly the web cam
ideas, but they are quite expensive in Europe. We really push infosec
awareness during student orientation week and we have mandatory IT
Orientation workshops for all incoming students. We also have giveaways for
students including an security awareness bookmark, customised mobile phone
wallets, that stick to the back mobile phones and can also hold a student
card, which are very popular.

For high profile cyber days, such as Safer internet day, we put up stands in
prominent locations on campus with more giveaways. We just purchased
customised IT Security bicycle seat rain covers (attached), which are good
for the Irish weather!  Finally we try our best to follow the great Educause
Awareness campaigns and promote security awareness in the Student and Staff
e-zines.

Our most successful campaign to date was a Phishing Awareness Campaign using
an interactive Phishing Challenge developed by our own Media office. An
outside IT Security company sponsored a mobile tablet as a prize, so there
was huge take-up.  I guess the chance to win something always generates
interest, so if you can get sponsored prizes, it always helps.  We are
trying to get more sponsored prized for a password protection campaign.  The
phishing challenge is available publically by searching for "ucd phishing
challenge", it was developed using storyline and I am happy to share the
code with you.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Paul Kennedy