Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

How to reach college students about security?

From: "Smith, Eric" <smithe28 () XAVIER EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 19:28:06 +0000

All,

We are planning an IT hosted event for opening week of classes. Most of it is entertainment-based (flying drones, face
painting, jugglers, zoo animals!) but there's some carrot n stick elements.... eg,  giving them a food reward for
downloading our college mobile app.

I've been tasked with promoting IT security for this event. Sure, I can rattle off scary stats or news items, give
practical advice which will be promptly forgotten, hand out various fliers that'll get pitched... the same struggles
everyone else probably has when dealing with employees in this realm. I'm having more difficulty than I expected in
developing something that will especially grab a millennial audience.

Something that is:

-          Engaging/enticing. At their age, everyone's living forever and bad things always happen to someone else.
It's a challenge to break through that.

-          Brief and somewhat unstructured. The event will be a string of booths where people pass by. Things might
move relatively fast, so this may boil down to a few sentences and pushing something relevant (hopefully not a slip of
paper commandments) into their hands.

Has anyone else tackled a quick, informative sell to students, preferably with some useful trinkets or materials? If
so, what worked for you?

Eric Smith
Assistant Director, Technical Support
Xavier University