Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [SECURITY] Notifications of external emails

From: "Klein Keane, Justin" <Klein_KeaneJ () MLHS ORG>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 11:56:02 -0500

Hello,

  We’ve done the same thing (adding “[EXTERNAL]” to the subject line of incoming emails) here at Main Line Health for
nearly a year now.

  We run regular internal phishing tests and based on metrics we’ve noticed that the subject line addition hasn’t
noticeably affected failure rates of people clicking links or opening attachments.  It has positively affected rates of
reporting suspicious e-mail to our help desk, however, so the value was unexpected but clear.  Adding hints to external
scam emails is often enough to tip users off and spur them to action, which is obviously beneficial for remediation.

  This added subject line component has also been extremely effective in preventing targeted spearphishing and CEO
fraud (the “hey CFO, this is the CEO and I need $10,000 transferred today” type).

  The main issue with tagging external e-mail is the reliance on so many authorized external providers for supporting
services.  The subject line tag can confuse many users and cause them to ignore legitimate e-mail from external
providers.  I’ve heard stories of some users who write e-mail filter rules to automatically bin anything tagged as
external.

Cheers,
Justin C. Klein Keane MA MCIT CEPT C|EH
Security Architect
Main Line Health Information Technology
https://www.mainlinehealth.org/
klein_keanej () mlhs org<mailto:klein_keanej () mlhs org>
484-596-2203