Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Notifications of external emails

From: Thomas Carter <tcarter () AUSTINCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 14:57:57 +0000

We are trying to combat phishing by making users more aware of emails that come from outside campus vs internal emails.
We've trialed using a mail rule to modify the subject line and prepend a flag (like "EXTERNAL:" or similar) but users
complained it caused confusion (?) and they didn't like emails to be modified. I suspect a disclaimer added to the body
of the message would be either ignored or disliked for the same reasons.

Has anyone else done something to somehow flag external emails? What was the feedback? How well does it work?

Thomas Carter
Network & Operations Manager / IT
Austin College
900 North Grand Avenue