Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inspecting encrypted traffic

From: Angelo Rodriguez <Angelo.Rodriguez () SOFTWARE DELL COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:10:06 +0000

I would like to offer a vendor perspective.

Without SSL inspection, limited URL filtering can be done (using cert common name) but you cannot block keywords,
perform complex filtering or inject block/splash pages. Likewise applications might show up as “https” or “SSL” so app
visibility and control may be limited. Threats via IPS, malware and other vectors will also be hidden from the DPI
engine and go right through (the way they do now on many legacy FW’s or those that are not inspecting SSL). Our own
analysis from +1m active sensors (NGFW’s) shows encrypted traffic levels at nearly 60% and growing faster than http. In
some places it will be lower/higher of course.

Think of all the common use sites/apps (anything Google or MS, most social media sites, CRM  and ERP, financials,
medical, etc) that introduce threat vectors if they are not being inspected (via MitM or similar). Inspection is
required to peform full URL, App control, IPS and malware prevention else, in effect you are only protecting ~50% of
your traffic/users.

I can only speak for specific roducts, but you have to specifically capture and export or mirror unencrypted traffic to
see PII data. It does not appear in logs nor do the products I’m familiar with have onboard storage of captures, data
is only kept in volatile memory during inspection. I fully understand the concerns and it’s brought up regularly in my
interaction with Hied customers across NOAM, but there are many deployments and growing very quickly (for SSL
inspection) across both Hied and K-12 (and commercial, FED, G500 acounts).

Cheers,

Angelo J. Rodriguez, CISSP
Director, Sales Engineering
Dell | Network Security
mobile +1 512 297 1758; office +1 512 309 7006