Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inspecting encrypted traffic

From: Alex Keller <axkeller () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 22:11:21 +0000

Hi John,

Jim Cheetham provided sage advice on this front. Performing full packet inspection (selectively decrypted or not) is
typically infeasible or ineffective at scale. The decryption advertised by PA (or anybody else) is only for encrypted
streams where you have the means to terminate the connection at the perimeter, inspect it, then re-encrypt and send it
down the wire (in other words it will only work for services you directly administrate).

You would likely benefit far more by focusing on the collection and analysis of connection data (netflows), not what is
actually in the packets. We use Argus (http://qosient.com/argus/) but it looks like PAs have some netflow functionality
built in. You might also check out Bro (https://www.bro.org) which is well established in the Hi-Ed community.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Best,
Alex

Alex Keller
Stanford | Engineering
Information Technology
axkeller () stanford edu<mailto:axkeller () stanford edu>
(650)736-6421