Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inspecting encrypted traffic

From: Jim Cheetham <jim.cheetham () OTAGO AC NZ>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 10:24:25 +1300

Excerpts from John LaPrad's message of 2016-01-20 07:53:24 +1300:
I'm looking into the possibility of decrypting and inspecting encrypted traffic to and from the Internet for viruses,
malware etc.... Is anyone doing this? We have Palo Alto firewalls and they support decryption, inspection,
re-encryption. I'm concerned about privacy issues, could it impact compliance in any way, user acceptance.
I appreciate any feed back.

I'd push back on technical issues; it's effectively impossible to
inspect all traffic, and each year the amount on un-inspectable traffic
will rise, often sharply.

Just because a vendor says they can "decrypt traffic" doesn't mean that
they are correct. Have them tell you what traffic they can't decrypt :-)
Have them tell you what applications won't work when they deploy their
interception. MITM is an attack, not a service.

So, if you accept that content inspection itself isn't going to work, look
at other technologies like site reputation, DNS query analysis and of
course end-point security/AV.

--
Jim Cheetham, Information Security, University of Otago, Dunedin, N.Z.
✉ jim.cheetham () otago ac nz    ☏ +64 3 470 4670    ☏ m +64 21 279 4670