Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inspecting encrypted traffic

From: Mark Borrie <mark.borrie () OTAGO AC NZ>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 11:49:03 +1300

Hi John

We implemented a NGFW solution a few years ago and thought that content inspection for malware would be a nice add on. The reality then was that we didn't find much in the mostly http traffic. Possibly this is due to the nature of malware being served via the web. Anyway, we gave up on it and have focused on endpoint malware detection.

Another issue with content inspection is the looming issue with multipath TCP. We essentially will not get all the relevant packets to reassemble and inspect so again it is going to go into the to hard basket.

Mark