Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Tracking periodic tasks

From: Thomas Carter <tcarter () AUSTINCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 18:06:26 +0000

I'd really prefer something with more features than a calendar. With a calendar, how do you verify completion of a
task? How do you get notified that an overdue task has not been completed? I'd also like the flexibility with the time
the task is performed. For example, something that is weekly may be able to be done anytime that week. I don't want to
limit it to a specific day or time.

I realize what I'm looking for may be too much to ask for cheap and easy, but may I should explain what I've used in
the past. Recurring tasks were set up and assigned to a person or group of people who were responsible for completing
that task. Every Monday, for example, those people would get an email reminding them of incomplete tasks due soon (e.g.
weekly tasks due that week, monthly tasks due in the next two weeks, etc).  A dashboard would also show all tasks with
status.  When a task was complete it would be marked complete with the date and the person doing the task. They could
also attach supporting documentation that the task was done (e.g. a list of tapes sent to offsite storage that week).
All of this makes it easy to ensure these tasks are being done, by whom, and with supporting evidence.

The home grown system I mentioned was a custom add-on to our help desk system as a help desk system almost meets the
requirements I'm looking for. However I cannot find an easy way to do that with our current system (KACE Service Desk).

Thomas