Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security team and budget

From: "Youngquist, Jason R." <jryoungquist () CCIS EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 13:47:05 +0000

Theresa,

Here are some ideas (not all in our budget)  -

·         Network access control (NAC)

·         Vulnerability management

·         Laptop encryption

·         Security Information and event management (SIEM)/log management

·         Firewall(s)/VPN

·         Sensitive information scanning software

·         Anti-virus/anti-malware/ad blocking software

·         Anti-spam solution

·         Privilege management solution (ie. remove local admin)

·         Application whitelisting

·         2-factor authentication

·         Mobile device management

·         Data loss prevention software (DLP)

·         Secure file sharing

·         Web application firewall (WAF)

·         Web application scanning/code review software

·         E-Discovery tools

·         Database activity monitoring (DAM)

·         Forensic software - Full packet capture/network/host-based forensic software

·         Host-based intrusion detection/file integrity monitoring

·         Network bandwidth/monitoring tools – ie. netflow collector

·         Pentesting software

·         Third party security audits

·         Security awareness training for faculty/staff/students

·         Security training/conferences/courses for security staff

​​​​​
Jason Youngquist, CISSP, CISA, GWAPT, GCWN
Senior Information Security Engineer
Columbia College – Technology Services
1001 Rogers Street, Columbia, MO  65216
(573) 875-7334
jryoungquist () ccis edu<mailto:jryoungquist () ccis edu>
http://www.ccis.edu<http://www.ccis.edu/>