Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Local Administrators and Admin Shares - C$

From: Ronald King <ronald.king () MORGAN EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 15:31:29 -0500

In a previous institution, we restricted who had administrator rights.  In
cases where a user needed an admin account, such as supporting lab systems,
a request was sent from the user with their department head's signature.
The request included their name, primary account and list of computers
needing access. We created a separate admin account, used powershell to add
the account to the local Administrators group, and set AD to only allow the
account to login to the listed PCs.  When I left we had completed
automating the account creation based on criteria from their primary
account.  We also set the admin account to expire after a year and required
a renewal form to maintain access.

*Ronald A. King, CISSP*
Chief Information Security Officer
Morgan State University Office: (443) 885-3372
1700 E. Cold Spring Ln. Email: ronald.king () morgan edu
Baltimore, MD 21251 URL: http://www.morgan.edu

*Growing the future ... Leading the world*
<http://www.morgan.edu/Documents/ABOUT/StrategicPlan/StrategicPlan2011-21_Final.pdf>

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Wesley Hayato Tomatsu <tomatsu () oxy edu>